Monday, March 19, 2012

The First

I never know how to start a blog. I’m not a writer, that’s more Curious’ thing. I’m a reader. I love to read. And I’m very set in my ways about reading actual books. None of that online reading or Nooks and iPads for me. Don’t get me wrong--I love technology--but to me there is nothing better than having a book in your hands. The feel of it, the smell of it, the font, and the weight, all combined with the story. That is how I get lost in a book. And do I ever get lost in books.

I’ve been reading ever since I can remember. Normally fiction, with a focus on fantasy, science-fiction, or the classics. Pretty much all of my favorite things have something to do with books one way or another. My favorite movie is even You've Got Mail (and let me tell you, if anyone deserves the title “Quaint” it’s Kathleen Kelly). I go into every used bookstore I come across, even if I don’t buy anything. I just love the atmosphere for the stores.

I know that I love books, but the rest of my life has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I’ve never known what I wanted to do. There are so many things that I could do, but nothing that I’ve desperately wanted. One thing I have always dreamed about (even though I never thought it would be an actual possibility) is owning my own used bookstore.

It’s not the money, obviously. You’d be hard pressed to find a small used bookstore owner who’s rich. It’s about doing something you love. Being surrounded by books, communicating with fellow book-lovers, bringing the joy of books into others lives. That’s why you become a bookstore owner. My ideal store would be a little shop in a quaint neighborhood where I have regulars who come in, children dropping by after school, a book club for the stay-at-home parents, and a pot of coffee (and tea) always on. Unfortunately, I don’t have a large supply of money that I can invest into a store. 

But one thing I can do, the closest thing to my quaint little used bookstore, is sell books online.

It all started when Curious and I were sitting around one day. To be honest, it was not a good day. The most recent of the many not-good days this year. Curious said “I have this much money in the bank. How could we start our own business with it?”. The rest is history, or rather, present. It started March 11th. We sat down and started thinking about what we needed to do to start selling books online. For me, it was to fulfill my dream of owning a used bookstore. For him, to be self-employed.

We don’t expect things to be easy. And there are no illusions about our guaranteed success. But we really want to try. We know we can do this and do it well. All we need to do is try.

Which brings us to this blog, and to you. This blog has many purposes. We’ll be writing about our adventure of starting our own online business, about the lessons we learn, and the cool things we find. About life, and of course about all things Quaint and Curious. We hope that you enjoy our writings, maybe learn something new, and most importantly we hope it makes you smile. Please drop us a comment or an email (quaintandcuriousbooks@gmail.com) about things you’d like us to write about, about questions you have, books you are looking for, or just to say hi.
~Quaint

"What better way to get to know someone than through her choice and treatment of books?" 
-Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

No comments:

Post a Comment